Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wake-Up Call

Have you read Francis Chan's Crazy Love? I read this book last year in community groups with Encounter, and now my d-group is reading it.

I must not have been paying attention last fall, because I feel like these words are all news to me! I love how God does that. Emphasizes different things to us, in different seasons of our lives.

In d-group, we discussed chapter 2 tonight, entitled 'you might not finish this chapter.' It's all about worry and stress. I want to share with you Francis' definitions of the two.
  • Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives.
  • Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace towards others, or our tight grip of control.
Wow.

Marinate in that for a moment.

How true is that? My brother quoted me something recently, that 'worrying is temporary atheism.' And the truth is, when we worry, when we get stressed out and anxious, we are denying that there is anyone or anything more important in our lives than that which we're stressing over.

Furthermore, when we stress and worry, we're living in sin. We are to rejoice in the Lord, always. Even in the hard times. Even in the stressful times. We are to have an attitude of joy!

Feeling convicted yet?

I know I am. I think how often I make the world about me. My day-to-day is so Leigh-centered sometimes that I lose, forever, precious opportunities to glorify the Lord, my chief end. And when I waste myself through my sin, in the words of A.W. Tozer, I am wasting "that which on earth is most like God. This is man's greatest tragedy and God's heaviest grief."

So what's the key? We have to get over ourselves. We have to deny ourselves, daily, pick up our cross, and remember that at any moment, the Lord could decide that he would gain more glory through our death than through our continued living, and at that moment, we're gone. Therefore, we must remember, we cannot forget, that we are nothing compared to the King, and nothing matters save his glory.

I encourage us, myself included, to remember whose we are. And that any life not bringing glory to the Creator of the universe and the Lover of our hearts, is a wasted one.

Don't waste it.

2 comments:

  1. wonderfully, marvelously, and truly stated leigh!! i've thought the same things so many times. i couldn't put into words quite like you did though. i might plagerize it and send it to others who might just need to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am SUCH a worrier, i really needed to hear this! and it's the push i needed to convince me to read crazy love!

    ReplyDelete